Suffering from a personal injury, whether it’s to the mind or to the body, can be life-altering, especially if the injury was incurred by no fault of your own. Not being able to work causing lost wages and earnings coupled with the onslaught of medical bills, can take a toll on your overall happiness. The only thing that should be a priority is resting and recovering from your injury so you can get back on your feet as quickly as possible. The last thing on your mind should be your future finances. This is why our dedicated personal injury attorneys will fight on your behalf to get the compensation you deserve.
Common Types of Personal Injury Cases
Our personal injury lawyers have had decades of experience advocating for their clients right in regards to personal injury cases. Some common cases that we handle are:
- Car Accidents – Whether the accident was serious or a minor fender-bender, a vehicular accident can cause serious injuries. Insurance companies are looking to settle for the least amount of possible so it’s important that you do not accept any settlement offers right away. Hiring a car accident lawyer can make sure you not only get reimbursement for your car damage but also money to cover things like medical expenses and pain and suffering.
- Bicycle Accidents – In crowded cities, bicycles are a great way to travel. However, hazardous road conditions and negligent drivers can cause serious bicycle accidents and injuries to bicyclists. A bicycle accident lawyer will find out who is responsible for your injury and help you collect compensation for your injuries from the right party.
- Construction Accidents – Construction sites are notorious for being dangerous but there are certain standards and procedures to ensure a safe working environment. One of the aspects of a construction accident case is showing that the injury occurred despite safety protocols being in place. Our construction accident lawyers will help determine who is the correct entities liable for your injury.
- Dog Bite Injuries – Those who have suffered an injury from a dog bite are reserved about filing a lawsuit because often they know the owner of the dog that injured them. It’s important to work with a dog bite injury attorney who can handle these cases professionally and discreetly to help get you the compensation you are entitled to help cover the associated medical expenses.
- Motorcycle Accidents – Motorcycle accidents are even more likely to cause serious injuries than car accident due to riders and passengers are more vulnerable. Since injuries are more severe, the amount of compensation associated with a motorcycle should reflect that as well. However, motorcycle riders have a bad reputation for speeding and weaving in and out of cars so insurance companies do not take their claims seriously. Contact a motorcycle accident attorney is imperative.
- Nursing Home Abuse/Neglect – Warning signs for nursing home abuse and neglect can be very hard to determine because many of them are similar to signs of old age. Finding a good long-term care solution for your aging relatives is increasingly difficult as life expectancy grows which is why if there are any signs of abuse or neglect, contact a nursing home abuse attorney immediately.
- Product Liability – When you purchase a product from a store, you expect the product to be safe for use. Sadly, sometimes products are faulty and cause injuries. In a product liability case against, the suit is filed against the manufacturer or distributor depending on how the product was faulty; whether by how it was made or whether or no the distributor failed to warn against the dangers of the aforementioned product. A product liability attorney can help find who was at fault for your injury.
- Truck Accidents – Truck accidents occur in two different ways: either the driver of the truck was acting recklessly or the truck failed to meet certain safety requirements. Either way being a victim of a truck accident can lead to severe injuries. A truck accident lawyers will work with you to investigate the circumstances of your case and figure out who was liable for your injuries.
- Wrongful Death – When someone unexpectedly dies due to injuries that could have been avoided the emotional burden is hard to bare let alone the financial burden. These cases are hard because the victim is not able to describe the events that led to their death. However, a wrongful death attorney will help you seek damages so you can have a financially secure future.
Common Forms of Personal Injury
There are several types of injuries that are common but are dependent on which type of accident caused the injuries. Common injuries that our clients have suffered from due to another person’s negligence include:
- Back Injuries
- Lumbar Sprain
- Thoracic Sprain
- Brain & Head Injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Broken Bones
- Burn Injuries
- Catastrophic Injuries
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome/Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy
- Stiffness of Joints
- Muscle Spasms
- Changes in Skin Color and Texture
- Prolonged Sensation of Burning
- Mental Illness
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Neck Injuries
- Orthopedic Injuries
- Joint Fractures
- ACL Tears
- Slipped or Herniated Discs
- Spinal Chord Injuries
What Happens After I File A Personal Injury Lawsuit?
A personal injury lawsuit is a civil lawsuit filed by the plaintiff (the person injured) against the defendant (party or parties responsible for the injury [an individual, business, corporation or government agency]). Lawyers on both sides will provide a list of questions for the plaintiff and defendant to answer. This process is known as the discovery process. During this time we compile evidence such as medical reports, police reports, witness testimony as well as hire third-party investigators and expert witness who can testify on your behalf.
From here the direction of the case can go in two directions. The most common direction is an informal settlement. Our attorneys will speak with the insurance companies and negotiate the maximum settlement amount for damages to help cover the cost of lost wages, past and future medical expenses, pain and suffering, and mental anguish.
Although we settlement a majority of our cases, we are not afraid to go to trial and litigate. If the insurance company refuses to settle, the next phase is preparing for trial. The first step is selecting the members of the jury. Once the jury is selected then the trial begins. First, lawyers for both sides will present their opening statements which is then followed by testimony from the plaintiff, plaintiff’s witness, the defendant and the defendant’s witnesses. Then the lawyers will present their closing statements. The jury will then deliberate. Nine out of the twelve jurors must favor on the side of the plaintiff in order for the trial to be successful.
Contact A Personal Injury Attorney Today
If you have suffered an injury due to the negligence or reckless of another person or have been injured due to a faulty product or if your loved one died as a result of someone else’s negligence then time is of the essence. In Virginia, the statute of limitations to file a personal injury claim is two years from the date of injury. Our experienced and dedicated personal injury attorneys will sit down with you and review your case and will negotiate on your behalf to get you a maximum settlement or go to trial and litigate on your behalf. Contact us now for a free case evaluation.